We’ve discussed peeling faces off with acid and jabbing them with dozens of needles, in my micro-needling post for example, here on my blog and YouTube Channel SubversiveStyle, but now we shall dive into a different type of current…the electrical kind!
Electrocution may seem like a step above or below micro-needling, depending on your perspective, but the anti-aging claims are mounting: assists collagen and elastin production; improves muscle tone and blood circulation; lifts jowls and brows; reduces the appearance of fine-lines and wrinkles; muscle re-education; and better product absorption with “specific iontophoresis” among them (Dermal Institute).
Does Microcurrent Hurt? What’s it like?
Well…yes, yes it can…and you can see “lightning bolts” going through your eyes with some micro-current devices such as the Suzanne Summers Face Master- which can be quite intimidating!
The NuWave Trinity and DermaWandPro are much less intimidating though, and you’re not going to be using an over the counter device which is strong enough to actually cause muscle contractions. If you try to use these devices on dry skin it will feel very unpleasantly stinging, even a bit burning…with the DermaWandPro you will actually hear and see an arc which does sting before it comes in contact with the skin…it’s painless while you have it touching the skin, but applying and removing it feels uncomfortable and if your topical product dries up you certainly feel it!
How’s Micro-Current Work?
- assists collagen and elastin production;
- improve muscle tone and blood circulation;
- Lift jowls and brows; muscle re-education: Apparently, this requires knowledge of the facial muscles starting, ending, and midpoints or bellies. By using the devices from the midpoint out you elongate the muscle, and visa versa by working from the endpoints in you contract dropping muscles. In his video, Microcurrent Technique Critiques, Joe Ventura shows how these devices are being used erroneously by professionals as well as in the intended use of the manufacturers’ tutorials and instruction manuals.
- reduce the appearance of fine-lines and wrinkles;
- Provides better product absorption with “specific iontophoresis”
There’s a lot of misinformation in the market when it comes to how these devices are being advertised and instructed to be used. As I stated in item 3 above, it’s crucial to educate yourself about the facial muscles and how to tighten them by working from the endpoints to the belly of the muscles, which will produce a firming and lifting effect contrary to the sagging uneducated use can cause.