I was lucky enough to have access to the best dermatologists, perscriptions, chemical peels, you name it- I tried it. From the boutique brand name products to the stuff found in your local drugstore- there wasnt anything I wouldn’t try: in fact- I almost did try it all in the process.
- Salicylic acid washes
- Salicylic chemical peels
- Benzoyl peroxides & Retin-A Micro
- Doxycycline: an antibiotic (pill)
- Moisturizers, Toners
In the search, I found simplicity was the key for my skin all along: a salicylic face wash…nothing else but an occasional application of PTR’s AHA/BHA Acne Clearing Gel to prevent a breakout. I have found Neutrogena’s Visibly Even, Garnier’s Charcoal, and PTR’s Salicylic Face & Body to be very good products, again for my skin, which is combination.
To clear the uneven skin tone and dark spots, I began using Garnier’s Dark Spot treatment, then switched to PTR’s De-Spot Skin Brightening Corrector- which I’d highly recommend.
The Salicylic Acid peels were a huge lifesaver in high school: layers of skin would peel off, helping with dark spots and the acne. Be forewarned, your face will peal so set this up for the weekend so you can hide out in your down time and return to work or school looking less like a desert zombie. It was then I started using hyaluronic acid as a moisturizer- yes, acid and moisturizer in the same sentence. It was the only type of much needed moisturizer that wouldn’t cause my skin to break out.
*I always mention that you can get illegal acid peels on the web, do not attempt to do this yourself if it’s stronger than over-the-counter, you can burn your skin and eyes.
I learned to keep a fine tuned balance between over drying or over moisturizing my skin in a way: you want to prevent oils from sitting on the face, but if you get too dry the dead skin ends up clogging the pores.
Recommended Face Washes for Acne & Clear Skin:
- Peter Thomas Roth
- Bliss Fabulous Foaming Facewash
Brands that did not work for me
- Clean & Clear
Clear Skin Body:
- Use face wash on your back, butt, and legs: I don’t know why but that’s where I hypothesize that the skin is different.
- Scrub it hard girl, use that loofa hunty! Exfoliation is key- while I don’t continue to do the peels, I do use an exfoliating cleanser on my face & body, and make sure to exfoliate the shoulders, back, that donk of a booty , and legs.
- Tanning helps my skin stay clear of both breakouts and dark spots- be sure to use an UVA/UVB SPF.